Get ready to welcome this creamy, cheesy, dish to your dinner rotation! Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole combines tender chicken, creamy cheese, and delicious broccoli in one dish that the whole family will love. This is a simple, easy to make dish that will feed your whole family and have them coming back for more!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Some of my favorite elements in this Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole are the crisp, fresh broccoli, the savory, cream of chicken soup sauce, and the perfectly crisp breadcrumb topping, that provides an excellent contrast of texture. This is a great dinner to whip up on a Saturday and enjoy all weekend.
The best part about this Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is that there is so much flexibility. It is very easy to make in a different size dish, depending on your needs. You can even make a large helping, and if you and your family can not eat it all, (they will certainly try!) it holds very well once frozen.
Classically, this Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole or Divan, is made with cream of chicken soup, but you can also substitute it with some homemade Cream of Celery Soup! You can also switch out the chicken for your favorite protein, whether it be ham or beef. However you prefer, this Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole will quickly become one of your family’s favorite comfort dishes!
Ingredients to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole:
- Cheddar Cheese – Hand grated from a block tends to melt easier and more evenly.
- Chicken – You can use chicken from breast, thigh, or even from a rotisserie chicken. This is also a great way to use up some leftover chicken.
- Rice -White rice is the standard for the recipe but you can use wild or brown rice as well. Adjust cooking time and liquid content to ensure the rice is properly cooked.
- Broccoli Florets -Fresh or frozen are good in this dish. You do not have to thaw the frozen broccoli if you go that route.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup will add a different spin on the taste of this dish.
- Curry – This adds a punch of distinctive flavor, but can be left out for anyone that does not appreciate that style of taste.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a medium saucepan, mix together cream of chicken soup, milk, mayo, butter, and lemon juice until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Add in curry, salt and pepper.
Fold in cheddar cheese then add broccoli and chicken.
Pour mixture over rice in a 9×13 baking dish. Carefully fold the mixture into the rice and spread evenly over the dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs then bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Notes & Tips
How to Store Leftover Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can reheat in a covered baking dish in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. To freeze, place in an airtight freezer ziplock back for up to two months. Thaw in the refrigerator a day before and follow the reheating instructions above.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Add some variety by using a mix of cauliflower along with the broccoli.
- White long grain rice is the standard rice used in this dish, but you can use brown or wild rice. Be sure to adjust cook times and the amount of liquid needed to ensure that the rice is cooked properly.
- Assemble this dish up to two days before baking, just cover and store in the refrigerator.
Yes, this casserole can be made up to two days ahead of time. Just cover and store in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.
Of course, plus, you do not even have to thaw the frozen broccoli before putting it in the baking pan, it will thaw as the casserole cooks.
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE…
A free Cinnamon & Sage Co. meal planner and shopping list!
Chicken Broccoli Rice CasserolePrint Recipe
- 2 cups cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 3 cups chicken cooked & cubed
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a medium saucepan, mix together cream of chicken soup, milk, mayo, butter, and lemon juice until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Add in curry, salt and pepper.
- Fold in cheddar cheese then add broccoli and chicken.
- Pour mixture over rice in a 9×13 baking dish. Carefully fold the mixture into the rice and spread evenly over the dish.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs then bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
More Dinner Recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you thought with a comment below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @cinnamonandsagecoblog