Chicken Burrito Bowls are a perfect make-ahead meal that tastes amazing, keeps you full, and is full of nutrient dense ingredients. With deliciously seasoned chicken, fresh salsa, avocado, and more – you will love this easy and filling meal!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Chicken burrito bowls were made for meal-preppers. Everything can be prepared and packaged at the start of the week for an easy to grab meal. Being able to make your lunches and dinners ahead of time will help immensely when trying to stick to a healthier diet.
Something else that is really wonderful about this dish is that you can customize it in so many ways! The type of meat, the spiciness level, skip the rice and use lettuce instead – it can be altered to suit your specific tastes and nutritional goals. You’ll fall in love with all the vibrant flavors and textures in this delicious meal!
Ingredients to Make Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- ground chicken
- olive oil
- taco seasoning
- fresh salsa
- black beans
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- cooked rice
How to Make Chicken Burrito Bowls:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Add taco seasoning and mix until the chicken is evenly coated. Remove from heat and set aside. Mix together the sour cream and sriracha to make the sauce. Add a ½ teaspoon of water at a time to get the desired consistency.
To assemble the bowls, fill each half way with rice. Add a spoonful of chicken, salsa, black beans, corn and cheese to each bowl. Drizzle on the sour cream mixture then add ½ an avocado to each bowl and serve.
Notes & Tips
- Taco Seasoning: Use store bought taco seasoning packets or homemade taco seasoning.
- Ground Chicken: Substitute ground beef, ground turkey or shredded chicken for the ground chicken if preferred.
- Rice: You can also use cilantro lime rice or brown rice. Or skip the rice and use fresh lettuce to make a salad instead.
- Salsa: You can substitute pico de gallo for the salsa if preferred.
- Avocados: Guacamole is a tasty substitute for the fresh avocados.
How to Store Chicken Burrito Bowls
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days, however avocados and salsa are best added right before serving.
Expert Tips for Chicken Burrito Bowls
- The chicken and rice can be made up to four days ahead of time for meal prep.
- For extra spice, add another tablespoon of sriracha to the sour cream or add fresh jalapenos to the bowl.
- Ceramic Frying Pan – this is my favorite brand of cookware, I recommend them for everything!
- Wooden Spoons
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Electric Food Chopper – perfect for making your own guacamole or salsa!
- Stainless Steel Knife Set
- Hamburger Chopper – this is a great tool for cooking ground meat
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE…
A free Cinnamon & Sage Co. meal planner and shopping list!
Chicken Burrito BowlCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
1 pound ground chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 cup fresh salsa
½ cup black beans, cooked
½ cup corn, cooked
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 ripe avocados
½ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons sriracha
3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Add taco seasoning and mix until the chicken is evenly coated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix together the sour cream and sriracha to make the sauce. Add a ½ teaspoon of water at a time to get the desired consistency.
- To assemble the bowls, fill each half way with rice. Add a spoonful of chicken, salsa, black beans, corn and cheese to each bowl.
- Drizzle on the sour cream mixture then add ½ an avocado to each bowl and serve.
More Chicken Recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you thought with a comment below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @cinnamonandsagecoblog