Cream of Celery Soup
Cream of Celery Soup is made with fresh, crisp celery, thick heavy cream and flavorful chicken broth. Use this soup as a an ingredient for a favorite recipe or eat it on it’s own for a warm and creamy fall dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Cream of Celery Soup recipe makes about the equivalent to 2 cans of soup. Use it to make a tasty Swiss Chicken dinner completely from scratch!
It is also a great vegetarian recipe for dinner that the whole family will love. Skipping meat for dinner one day a week can save your family so much money on the monthly grocery bill!
Ingredients to Make Cream of Celery Soup
- yellow onion
- fresh celery
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
How to Make Cream of Celery Soup
Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery and garlic, cook until soft for about 5 minutes. Then add in the chicken broth.
In a small bowl whisk together milk and flour until smooth. Add to the soup pot while stirring. Then add the heavy cream. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer.
Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat back to medium and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Notes & Tips
- Yellow Onion: you can replace the yellow onion with red onion, however it may leave a redish tinge to the soup.
- Flour: you can also substitute the flour for cornstarch since it is only to add thickness to the soup.
- Chicken Broth: substitute vegetable stock for chicken broth if you prefer, just be sure to add a little more salt to the soup if needed.
- Milk: you can use slightly more heavy cream to replace the milk but you can’t use milk to replace heavy cream or the soup will not be thick enough,
How to Store Cream of Celery Soup
Refrigerator: Store leftover soup in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Simply reheat in a sauce pan on the stove when ready to eat.
Freezer: Freeze this soup in a freezer ziplock bag for up to three months. Thaw to use as an ingredient for another recipe or to eat just as soup.
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE…
A free Cinnamon & Sage Co. meal planner and shopping list!
Cream of Celery SoupCourse: SoupsDifficulty: Easy
Cream of Celery Soup is made with fresh, crisp celery, thick heavy cream and flavorful chicken broth.
¼ cup butter
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cup fresh celery, very finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
⅓ cup flour
1 ½ cups chicken broth
¾ cup milk
¾ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery and garlic, cook until soft for about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk and flour until smooth. Add to the soup pot while stirring. Add heavy cream. Increase heavy to high and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat back to medium and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
More Soup Recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you thought with a comment below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @cinnamonandsagecoblog