This winter, treat yourself and loved ones to some decadent Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. With a moist cupcake that uses real hot chocolate powder and a light, gooey marshmallow frosting, you won’t be able to resist this seasonal dessert!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Nothing says winter comfort like hot chocolate. When it’s cold outside, everyone loves to sip on that sweet warmth of a big mug of hot cocoa! So naturally, taking this beloved drink and turning it into a tasty cupcake was a no-brainer.
This recipe uses actual packets of hot chocolate powder to elevate the flavor from just an average chocolate cake to the rich and creamy taste we all know and love. Topped with a sweet and airy marshmallow buttercream frosting, hot chocolate cupcakes are the perfect delight for the colder months. Add a candy cane to the side to make the whole thing look like an adorable little mug!
Ingredients to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes:
- vegetable oil
- hot chocolate mix
- baking powder
- baking soda
- butter, softened
- marshmallow creme
- powdered sugar
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, vegetable oil, and milk. Slowly add in flour, hot chocolate mix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just combined.
Fill each liner ¾ of the way with batter. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. In a medium bowl cream together butter, marshmallow creme, milk and powdered sugar. Add more or less powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe on frosting or spread on with a knife.
Notes & Tips
- Vegetable Oil: You can substitute vegetable oil for butter for an even richer flavor.
- Hot Cocoa Powder: These cupcakes are not overly chocolatey so they don’t overpower the marshmallow frosting. If you prefer a richer chocolate flavor use half cocoa powder, half hot chocolate mix or even completely substitute the hot chocolate mix for cocoa powder.
How to Store Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to come to room temperature before eating.
Expert Tips for Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- Optional garnishes include mini marshmallows, candy canes or chocolate shavings.
- For peppermint hot cocoa cupcakes add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract.
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE…
A free Cinnamon & Sage Co. meal planner and shopping list!
Hot Chocolate CupcakesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
1 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup milk
2 ½ cups flour
1 cup hot chocolate mix
⅔ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups marshmallow creme
2 tablespoons milk
3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, vegetable oil, and milk.
- Slowly add in flour, hot chocolate mix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just combined.
- Fill each liner ¾ of the way with batter. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl cream together butter, marshmallow creme, milk and powdered sugar. Add more or less powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe on frosting or spread on with a knife.
More Holiday Recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you thought with a comment below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @cinnamonandsagecoblog