Looking for an easy, filling, and flavorful breakfast to start your day with? Look no further than this Southwest Breakfast Casserole. Make ahead of time or whip it together first thing in the morning- either way it’s going to be delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
It can be a challenge to find new breakfast recipes that aren’t full of sugar and will actually keep you full for a while. Thankfully, you won’t have to worry about any of that with our savory Southwestern Breakfast Casserole. High protein eggs and sausage will keep you perfectly satiated, while the addition of veggies and tater tots give an amazing complementary flavor!
One of the perks of this recipe is how adaptable it is. It reheats beautifully and can be made entirely ahead of time – just pop it in the oven to reheat in the morning. It’s the perfect breakfast for busy mornings!
Ingredients to Make Southwest Breakfast Casserole:
- chorizo sausage
- red bell pepper
- green chiles
- frozen shredded hash browns
- Mexican cheese blend
How to Make Southwest Breakfast Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Mix in sausage, pepper, onion, salsa, and green chiles.
Slowly stir in shredded hash browns and cheese. Pour mixture into the baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes. It’s that easy!
Notes & Tips
Substitutions for Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Chorizo sausage: You can substitute most sausages in this recipe. We recommend andouille or breakfast sausage. Use a turkey sausage if you want to make it even healthier!
- Shredded Hash Browns: Tater tots can be used in place of the shredded hash browns.
- Mexican cheese: Many cheeses would work in this recipe. Try shredded cheddar, taco, or colby jack.
How to Store Southwest Breakfast Casserole
This southwest breakfast casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Simply reheat in the oven at 350 degrees until warmed throughout.
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE…
A free Cinnamon & Sage Co. meal planner and shopping list!
Southwest Breakfast CasseroleCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
1 cup milk
12 ounces chorizo sausage, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup salsa
4 ounces green chiles
30 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and milk.
- Mix in sausage, pepper, onion, salsa, and green chiles. Slowly stir in shredded hash browns and cheese.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes.
More Breakfast Recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you thought with a comment below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @cinnamonandsagecoblog